Photography: Editing your outfit photos


by Elizabeth, Delightfully Tacky

1. Weed Out The Bad Ones

The first step of going through your images is getting them down to a manageable number. I can take between 20 and 100+ photos in a single outfit shoot. I like having a lot of photos to choose from, it increases the likelihood that I'll have a good number of nice shots to choose from. If half of my 50-photo set is total crap, I still have 25 good shots to choose from!


2. Make Sure You Have Variety
I like to vary my photos: have a few full body shots, a few detail shots (jewelry, fabric, shoes, etc), a few more fun or artsy shots-- just for kicks. Once you start getting used to taking photos, you'll get a good idea of when you've got a few solid shots and can move on to another pose or location. I think generally I do around 10 shots of each location, just so I know I've got good ones to choose from.


3. Editing!
Once you whittle your set down to a more manageable number of photos (I try to get it below 15 before I take them into editing), you can start tweaking your photos with Photoshop or another photo editing program. I use Picnik for most of my editing, but I also have Photoshop for involved editing, like creating collages. I don't like to do too much editing to my photos, but it's definitely a personal preference. You can leave your photos completely unedited, like Hannah of Heart City Vintage, or you can do more to your photos, like Zoe from Haiku Ambulance. You can give your photos a vintage feel, like Carrie of WishWishWish or Starr from A Thought Is The Blossom. Or, you can edit your photos more subtly, just enhancing their natural beauty, like Rhiannon of Liebemarlene Vintage.

After I edit the 10-15-ish photos I've chosen from the big batch, I go back through them to see which ones stand out now that they're edited. Sometimes I end up liking a photo after editing that I didn't like that much before. In the end I usually decide to put about 5-8 photos in an outfit post. Some people like to put a ton of outfit photos up, but I feel like one, maybe two photos from each pose/location is good enough and gives the reader a good idea of what your outfit looks like without making them look at a bunch of photos of you. It's a personal preference how many you choose to post, though!

Pin It!